Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A story of hypocrites?

Not to take a totally negative take on this book, but everyone seems so hypocritical, or at the very least wishy-washy. Adeline's mother is all about the importance of education and expanding the mind, though she has no practical abilities. She prides herself on intellect and has got some pretty radical ideas, but when Adeline runs away with the notorious writer, she is estranged from her mother. Then Glenmurray thinks he should marry Adeline but is unsure because to do so would go against all his previous arguments and may hurt the trust between the two. The one main idea that really stood out to be is that no one can really be steadfast in their beliefs. It was too dangerous to state something so different in a blatant, outright way. I would certainly be nervous if I was Amelia Opie, since even Austen pushes the boundaries in a way that makes the reader think well, everyone at the time was questioning the fairness of the institution of marriage. To end on a positive note (since I did enjoy so much about the book!) I admire the fact that this theme seemed so ahead of its time, especially since cohabitation in replace of marriage is an idea I consider pretty modern and boundary-breaking today.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another prime example of characters' hypocrisy is in Chapter 5 when Adeline gives her speech on the absurdity of marriage. Although Glenmurray feels the same way, he is offended and hurt by her comments. How can he take offense when he shares the same sentiments and has told many people his low opinion of marriage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed the continual examples of hypocrisy throughout the novel. In class we discussed whether or not Adeline is being stubborn in her refusal to marry. I think she seems so stubborn because she is surrounded by so many people who easily change their beliefs to best suit their current lifestyle. Her steadfastness in her belief about marriage may seem unwarranted and annoying at times, but at least she doesn't state one thing and then immediately go against it.

    ReplyDelete