After reading Adeline one
of the observations I made is the very feminine tone Opie writes in. By this
comment I do not mean to say that I found anything in this book to be feminist
or over-the-top championing women. Rather, what I mean by the novel having a
feminine is exactly that; you can just tell it was written by a woman. To cite
a few examples, I will begin with character descriptions. Having read the novel
cover to cover, I found it striking that Opie does a tremendous job describing
the physical features of the men in the novel, particularly when there may be
some connection with Adeline in the plot. Glenmurray, Barrendale, and Morduant
all are given detailed descriptions so that they can be envisioned by the
readers; conversely, I did not feel like, even through the entire novel, I
could understand what Adeline looked like nor what she was wearing. It was as
if Opie herself did not think it necessary, because she already knew, what a
woman of the day looked like. Another thing I noticed about the novel was the
frequency and amount which everybody cried. It seems Adeline cried in
twenty-plus chapters and this excessive display of emotion took away from the
realistic, albeit terrible, plot of the novel.
No comments:
Post a Comment