Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wollstonecraft's influence

As I was reading this I remembered that Mary Wollstonecraft entered into a relationship much like Adeline and Glenmurray's. As I wikipediaed this idea I discovered something, on Wollstonecraft's wikipedia page there is a portrait by none other than James Opie! As it turns out, Amelia Opie's husband. He was well known for painting literary figures and his painting of Amelia Opie is at the front of our Broadview edition. I discovered that Wollstonecraft died one year before Amelia and James got married but still her influence seems to be all over this book. In the 18th century Wollstonecraft entered a relationship with Gilbert Imlay and they even had a child together. However, it was not discovered that they never married until years later when she decided to marry William Godwin. The wikipedia article states that this caused them to lose many friends. Although, I realize I reference wikipedia I think the connection with our novel can excuse that. We see more than once friends and relations dropping away because Glenmurray and Adeline did not get married. I am not sure what Opie is trying to promote in her novel, the glories of sticking to one's convictions or the perils of it. Either way it is obvious that this storyline was much influenced by Opie's closeness with Mary Wollstonecraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment