Sunday, February 5, 2012

Too sweet an ending...?


While “Sense and Sensibility” had a decidedly happy ending, I’m left whether the ending makes sense or is even satisfying. The ending is sweet, even for Austen. The first time I read “Sense and Sensibility” I was struck by how perfect the ending was and upon this reading it left a more bitter taste in my mouth. Edward and Elinor end up together, perhaps a fitting end to the trials and tribulations (and secret engagements) they endured. But when did Marianne finally come around to the idea of marrying Colonel Brandon? After 300 pages of his sad glances and constant pining, all the reader gets is that Marianne “voluntarily” gave him her hand in marriage. While I can’t regret that they ended up together (it only seems fair to poor Brandon), even the more sinister characters in the novel are granted happy endings. Willoughby is forgiven by Mrs. Smith and lives out his life happily breeding dogs and horses. Sure, he regrets Marianne (the one that got away) but not in any debilitating way. There appears to be no punishment for his getting poor Eliza pregnant and abandoning her (much like Desmond in “Desmond”). Robert and Lucy are forgiven by Mrs. Ferrars and he is once again the apple of her eye. After spending so much time reading of their impropriety and romantic missteps (especially Robert Ferrars, Lucy, Willoughby, and even Edward) I am not so sure that I want them all to have happy endings. As a reader I wonder, what am I supposed to learn from this?  

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Austen had to end the novel with a marriage (or a sudden inheritance) to appeal to her readers. At its surface, the ending does seem like a Kodak moment. However, I think Austen does leave readers with an underlying message. For example, by marrying Colonel Brandon, Marianne is abandoning her former ways of sensibility. Marianne dismisses her romantic ways and marries a man of practicality. I believe that Austen does this to emphasize Marianne’s maturity. I think the biggest lesson to take away is the importance of sisterhood. Throughout the novel, men come and go into the lives of the sisters, yet the girls stay loyal to one another. Despite their differences in character and value, the characterizations of the two begin to blend together by the conclusion of the novel. The value of their sisterhood is epitomized in their decision to live near each other at the conclusion of the novel. I believe that this emphasizes the importance of family and remaining true to one another.

    ReplyDelete