Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Marianne's happy ending
Although I agree that it was a little unconvincing to have everyone end up with a happy ending, I think it was realistic for Marianne to grow up and marry Colonel Brandon after ignoring him for so long. In that time, she would not have had many options anyway, and would have to get married. Austen also writes that she was only 17, and two years later at 19 she has given up some of her ideas such as a person can only love once in her life. This seems pretty common for teenagers, especially one with as much sensibility as her. I love that she eventually has as much passion for Colonel Brandon as she once did for Willoughby because she could "never love in halves". I'm partly glad she did not end up with Willoughby after the way he treated her and then tried to blame it on his wife. Although Elinor did stand up to him a little, she had too much sense to show all of her anger. I think him also living happily ever after despite this makes the ending a little more real. Having the heroes end up happy and the villains end up miserable would just be too perfect, even more so than having everyone end up happy.
Labels:
Character Development
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment