As many people mentions, it seems the sisterly bond between Elinor and Marianne is the only true love and relationship worth having. However, I felt that though the sisters do have a strong affection for each other, they also throughout the novel withheld information from each other, only to disclose it when the situation forced them to do so. For example, I agree wholeheartedly with Madeline in the position that Elinor is a strong, practical character who smartly navigates her affairs without wearing her heart on her sleeve much as Marianne does. The scene she pointed out in which Elinor finds her voice and allows Marianne to have a glimpse into her silent suffering in the knowledge of Edward’s engagement to Lucy left me feeling both excited to have Marianne finally realize she was not the only sufferer, but also somewhat unsettled. Though the intentions of Elinor seem just as she stated her desire to protect her sister’s wellbeing in keeping her own misery from adding to Marianne’s grief, it seemed odd to me that she did not share these feelings with her sister earlier. She seemingly strategically chooses a particular time to reveal this knowledge to her sister immediately before the truth of Lucy and Edward’s engagement came out. The disclosure focalized through Elinor is even described as strategic, as she dreads the disclosure as an unwelcome task necessary to be completed, rather than a sincere “heart to heart” I would have imagined between sisters. Similarly, Marianne, for all her enthusiasm and joy in her relations with Willoughby in volume one, never seems to involve Elinor in these affairs. When he suspiciously leaves, Elinor and her mother discuss possibilities for his sudden departure, but neither directly question Marianne about their final conversation. Though the sisters clearly possess a strong love for each other throughout the novel, I felt a disconnect between them in scenes such as these.
I was also surprised by the chronic secrecy between the two. Although it is obvious that they are very close, they are both extremely judgmental of the other's choices. Rather than being accepting of who the other is, both sisters seem to project their own behaviors and mannerisms onto the other.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this post and re-reading that particular scene I can see where it may seem as though Elinor had ulterior motives in revealing her suffering when she did. I agree that Elinor should have confided in Marianne earlier and that this could have helped Marianne to become a little less self-involved. I am hesitant to think Elinor could commit any wrongs because I feel that she is the character who is most wronged in the novel. She has to sit through Lucy's insufferable gloating and endure Marianne's emotional fits. I am afraid when it comes to Elinor I am a biased.
ReplyDelete