Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sensibility!

Having just read two works in epistolary form, the omniscient narrative of Sense and Sensibility is a welcome change. I loved how in the very first pages, Austen gives the reader straightforward characterizations of the principal actors. I didn't have to figure out that Fanny was narrow-minded and selfish – Austen told me! Elinor “possessed a strength of understanding and coolness of judgment;” Marianne is “eager in everything;” and Edward although shy, bears an “open, affectionate heart.”

Form stuff aside, I want to talk about Marianne. I have also read this book before and like Kate, I had a stereotypical image of Marianne, as the spirited, and sometimes silly younger sister that matures throughout the novel. I guess I thought her opinions on love and passion for Willoughby were ridiculously embarrassing. But this time around, I am finding traits in Marianne that really stand out to me, and make me like her so much as a female character. Her passionate nature is responsible for her pursuing Willoughby – aka going after what she wants. Even though Willoughby will prove himself worthless, Marianne is fiery enough to try and get what she wants, and I like that. It’s sort of how I felt about Lady Susan – although her character was far more wanting – still, she at least tried to determine her own future when women were virtually powerless. And I think Marianne’s sensibility is in some ways allows her to circumvent some of the constraints of society (simply because she doesn't have the sense to care…). I think if Elinor possessed a little of Marianne’s sensibility, she might have been happily married to Edward by the end of chapter 4.

1 comment:

  1. I am also fond of Marianne. Early on, she complains to Mrs. Dashwood, "Mama, the more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!" (18). Unlike many girls of the time, Marianne is unwilling to settle for the first suitor who professes his love for her. She has standards: a man whose "person and manners must ornament his goodness with every possible charm." When she falls for Willoughby, she falls hard because she had not expected to find someone who could meet all her requirements.

    Unfortunately, Marianne's selectivity makes her separation from Willoughby more heartbreaking because she loves him unabashedly and fears she will not find another man as perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete