From Elise’s Post: Austen soon dissipates this need only six pages
into the novel the narrator gives character sketches of the two main characters
Elinor and Marianne.
Like
Kate, I too have read this book multiple times prior to this current reading
and prior to my cracking the pages of the Broadview edition for a third time I
looked forward to diving deep into the text and formulating opinions that I had
not the opportunity create previously. From the outset, however, I found myself
quite annoyed by the descriptions Austen gave. While I certainly remember, and
furthermore am not bothered by, the character descriptions given by Austen,
what strikes me as annoying is her constant insertion of her feelings on the
characters’ actions and circumstances. In a paper I wrote for another class on Sense and Sensibility, I asserted that
it was admirable and refreshing to have an author with an agenda; that is, I
liked how Austen told me that “Sir John Middleton was a good looking man about
forty”. (67) Furthermore, I like that Austen tells me Marianne is quite
sensible and emotional at the beginning of the novel and then goes on to write
three volumes to prove her claim. Examples like these, character opinions,
certainly have their place in novels such as Sense and Sensibility and contribute to my overall positive view of
Austen.
What bothers me is when Austen
gives her opinion on certain situations not critical to the storyline. An
example of this can be found in her description of Barton Cottage. On the topic
of the Dashwoods’ desire to remodel their new abode, Austen says “they were
wise enough to be contented with the house as it was” due to their financial
situation. What bothers me about this statement is that the character
description of Mrs. Dashwood is not consistent with this notion of being “wise
enough”. Rather, I feel Austen is acting as an external god figure and imposing
her will and knowledge of what she, and admittedly I, knows upon the actions of
Mrs. Dashwood. In the same chapter, Austen ends by telling the readers that a
child ought to be in every party because the members of a discussion can spend
all their time doting upon him. This seems very superfluous and external to the
storyline. Doting upon Lady Middleton’s son is exactly what the Dashwoods did
and so it seems unnecessary to assert an opinion, one which is given in general
terms rather than in the specific context of the story, which has just been
demonstrated. Perhaps I am being too harsh on Austen as I love reading Sense and Sensibility but I think, after
my third reading, she is far too present within the lives of the Dashwoods and
Middletons.
Too bad - the little observations thrown in are quite quotable!
ReplyDeleteFor example, I have an Austen address book (I know, I'm so old-school) that has random lines like "How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!" (Persuasion).
But I think in this case about bringing kids to a visit, it's pretty satirical and says something about the Dashwoods' new friend circle. They spend ten minutes trying to figure out if the boy "were most like his father or mother, and in what particular he resembled either; for of course everybody differed, and everybody was astonished at the opinion of the others" (Ch. 6).
God, I'd have been bored already - and I have to say that it's just like when we go through the notions of asking "How was your day? Oh that's interesting. Yeah, I'm fine too." It takes up time, and is nice, but not incredibly interesting. I think that this line about kids shows how boring life is in the boondocks.
I agree that the apparently superfluous information Austen provides is generally satirical, which is probably why I tend to find those bits so funny! The note I wrote in the margin at the end of that particular passage about bringing children along is, "true to life, snarky." I think I find these opinions, which are seamlessly woven in to Austen's text, so funny because they are so true: "...it took up ten minutes to determine whether the boy were most like his father or mother, and in what particular he resembled either" (68). I've definitely been in that situation before, and it can be pretty annoying when it happens. You'd think that reading about it, then, might be annoying too, but Austen is critical to the point of humor. It is almost as if we are sitting next to her in the room while this scene is playing out and she is whispering her comments under her breath. I have not, though, read the book as many times as you have, Pat, so maybe her opinions begin to feel more overbearing with more readings!
ReplyDelete