I remember a high school teacher told my English class
that another way to look at the “sense” and “sensibility” dichotomy was to
consider the evolution of literary movements from 18th century
neo-classicism to 19th century romanticism. That was all good and
fine, I’m sure it went in one ear and out the other and I glossed over it in my
final paper. Now, after having taken a few more English classes, it does seem
to make a lot of sense. Elinor is all that is good about the practical world.
She is understanding of political, social, and economic life factors and how
that will impact her life and especially her love life, or marriage life
(classicism). She is the sensible one, who upholds the proper and correct way
of going about her business in regards to social expectation and female duty. Marianne
is all about excess and beauty, appreciating love and the natural world
(romanticism). She loves or hates passionately and she finds her emotions easy
to access. Of course, both characters are not steadfast in this comparison, and
that’s what makes them more interesting, but I can see how Austen may have been
using this as a commentary on the changing literary world at the time.
That'a auch an interesting reading of the title to me. After reading Desmond, which so blatantly critiques contemporary intellectual currants, I had been wondering where that layer could be in this novel. Very interesting to think about it in those terms.
ReplyDelete