Monday, February 27, 2012
Mocking
I am really enjoying the first volume of this story. My particularly favorite times are when Austen mocks the relationship between Catherine and Ms. Isabella Thorpe. Elise already commented on the beginnings of the relationship but I love how it progresses. The Thorpes are such silly, selfish people, but they are very entertaining. At every ball Ms. Thorpe insists that she could not "stand up without your dear sister [Catherine] for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening." Yet, she does stand up and barely sees Catherine all night. Then when they go to the theater she promises Catherine's brother "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening," implying she will only speak. But then, "Isabella...talked the rest of the evening with James." What Isabella says to Catherine reminds me of the intimate, sisterly relations of women in books of this period, yet Austen is completely mocking them. Isabella only says these thing but then acts completely differently. Catherine believes her relationship to Isabella to be one that is very close, but in fact Isabella easily disposes of her time with Catherine and only asks for it when it is convenient to her; such as when she wants Catherine to abandon plans with the Tilneys and travel to Brighton with them. I look forward to seeing how our heroine continues this relationship with Ms. Thorpe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment