Early into reading Sense and Sensibility, I was quickly struck by the difference in writing style in comparison to the epistolary form. As I entered the novel in habit of reading Lady Susan and Desmond, I was prepared to be endlessly suspicious of characters, searching the writing for hints to their motives in order to discover their true character. Austen soon dissipates this need only six pages into the novel the narrator gives character sketches of the two main characters Elinor and Marianne. The narrator describes Elinor as incredibly rational and Marianne as extreme in her emotions whether happy or sad. In the scenes following, Austen reinforces these sketches in scenes such as Elinor being the voice of reason in deciding how many servants to retain and in suspecting of Willoughby’s sudden disappearance. Austen creates the lack of moderation in Marianne’s feelings as she is exuberantly glee with Willoughby and then inconsolably depressed when he leaves. I wonder, with these scenes so clearly painting the characteristics of the girls, why Austen felt the need to include the character sketches prior? Or if without the description in the beginning if I would not have been as observant to realize these traits?
While I agree that Austen gives an excellent initial portrayal of Elinor and Marianne as rational and carefree, I do not think these descriptions are black and white. There are times throughout the novel that Marianne’s character becomes more rational and Elinor’s character becomes more carefree and spirited. I believe that Austen uses these descriptions to stereotype the two sisters and allows them to break the mold through their actions. The transformation is especially apparent at the end of the novel when Marianne decides to abandon her previous inclinations and become more like her rational sister. This paralleled my reading of the epistolary as I would make assumptions and need to refine my beliefs. The rational and emotional characterizations were so blatant that I searched for instances in which a sister would break the mold. I believe that Austen did this to encourage the reader to form their own opinions about the girls and prove that there is more to her female characters than what meets the eye.
ReplyDelete