Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Political Undertones, Mr. Verney and the King
Like Elise, as I read the second and third volumes of the novel, I began to notice the parallels between the surface plot of Geraldine, Verney, and Desmond and the political discourse throughout the novel. In the second volume, I began to wonder why there was so little discussion of the Revolution, when I noticed not only the parallels between Geraldine and the people of France pre-Revolution, but also the parallels of Mr Verney and rule of the French monarchy. Mr Verney is constantly over spending on entertainment, including women, drinking, gambling, while neglecting his family's future, his children, and their bedrock, his wife. Just before the French revolution, Louis XIV had over spent for the court entertainment, while neglecting his role as leader of France. In volume 3, letter 8, Bethel remarks about the return of the monarchy with Louis XVI, noting questions about "whether the French will receive their kind again, or immediately declare the nation a republic." This question arises again at the end of the novel when Geraldine is reunited with her husband. However, she appears willing to extend more grace to him than France, in the end, shows to its previous governmental system.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this thought! I wonder if Geraldine's return to Verney in the end then should be taken as a political statement by Smith or an abrupt return to moral duty that fits Geraldine's character. If the first, then perhaps Smith does have a hint of sympathy on the side of the newly usurped upper class (even though before she seemed not to before given her sympathetic characterization of the French woman who might have marched in the bread riots in the first volume). If the second, then perhaps it's her "returning to her place" of sorts in order to begin what will become a return to morality and freedom by the end. If that's the case then it's a little disappointing. I wish it could be some kind of commentary to round out the allegory, but I can't say for sure!
ReplyDelete