I am going to have to agree with previous comments and say
that I am a fan of the personal touches brought into Volume II and III with the
addition of a few real characters and personal stories that are more easily
followed. It added the personal touch that was needed to get through the
political backdrop, which is still present in the second and third volumes. I
don’t think it’s a crime for enjoying the struggle of the everyday woman, like
Geraldine, since it is really a story of the similarities to French struggle
and female struggle at the time, and the tyranny that each party must undergo. So conveniently set next to each other, we can
see the comparison easily between accepted social practice, English law, and
French politics. In Volume I, the political information maybe seemed too much
to take on all at once, which is why letter form gives the reader bite sized
pieces of political messages and background in order to take in. However, in
the second and third volumes the politics are still there, but more buried and
we instead get the personal back story to make all of it that much more
understandable. While people were arguing to the French justice and events surrounding
revolution, some other social injustice was going overlooked in England, which
seems to be at least part of Smith’s commentary of the situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment