Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Women and the Navy
At first I was confused by the cover picture for the Broadview edition of Persuasion but as I have been reading I understand why they chose a ship--this novel revolves around the Navy. A couple people have already talked about how men use the navy to rise in rank but I was intrigued by women's roles on a ship and the differing views. We know that Mrs. Croft went all over with her husband Admiral Croft and she enjoyed it very much. It seems that on a ship there is still a hierarchy but women are perhaps more respected. ON the top of page 103 Mrs. Croft says, "But I hate to hear you talking so, like a fine gentleman, and as if women were all fine ladies, instead of rational creatures. We none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days." It seems to me based on this quote that the lower one goes in this English society the closer the equality between the sexes. Obviously, it is never completely equal but perhaps some of the sillier customs are relegated to the "fine" class. The footnote on the previous page gives a little bit of information saying that only captain's wives were allowed on board but that often other women went too. I found all this very interesting. I have heard of women following their husbands to war in the American Civil War but I did not know that English women accompanied their husbands aboard ships. I am curious as to what months at sea did to the traditional social order.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also found it interesting that the Captain's wife was allowed on board (as well as the various other women on the ship whose presence was tolerated). In a society obsessed with social order and propriety, a military ship seems like an odd place for a woman.
ReplyDelete