I am not so certain about what role Lady Russell is supposed
to play in this novel. At first, I thought maybe she was the moral compass of
the work, showing Anne the way and acting as a counter-weight to the ridiculous
Sir Walter. As the story went on, however, I became suspicious of her judgment.
She seems particularly taken by Mr. William Elliot and finds nothing suspicious
in his sudden return. As a reader, Mr. Elliot’s character was questionable from
the beginning. By failing to spot Mr. Elliot’s bad intentions, Lady Russell
lost her credibility. Instead, we’re introduced to Anne’s school friend Mrs.
Smith. Mrs. Smith warns Anne about Mr. Elliot and shows herself to be a true
friend. Mrs. Smith is mostly concerned with Anne’s happiness, and is willing to
hold her tongue if she thinks Anne will be truly happy with Mr. Elliot. Lady
Russell’s reluctance of fully embracing Anne and Captain Wentworth’s engagement
was the final straw. I am not sure what Lady Russell’s deal is, for someone
supposedly so close to Anne, it seems like she doesn’t know Anne very well at
all. While at the beginning of the novel I had high hopes for Lady Russell
being my favorite character, in the end I have to say, I was most impressed
with Mrs. Smith.
I also like Mrs. Smith and I would argue that she is the moral compass of the novel. Mrs. Smith has fallen from a respectful marriage to a widowed invalid. Despite her fall from society, she maintains her grace and loyalty. When Anne goes to visit Mrs. Smith, the initial awkwardness is quickly forgotten and they rediscover their friendship friendship. Mrs. Smith is able to offer her sound advice that is not burdened with social baggage. I would argue that Mrs. Smith serves as the foil to Lady Russel and is a progressive thinker in regards to marriage and social status. Lady Russel represents the traditional marriage ideology that is driven by social class; Mrs. Smith represents a more progressive school of thought that is driven by character.
ReplyDeleteIt seemed almost as if Lady Russell's misguided opinions represent what Anne would have resembled had she not adopted a more progressive mindset in her adulthood. Anne could have so easily gone with the tide of her society and ended up with Lady Russell's limited mindset and shallow outlook. This divergence both calls attention to Anne's progressive outlook and the ease with which one could fall into the standard of Lady Russell's viewpoint.
ReplyDelete