Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Did they get it?
In reading G's post (whoever you are?) I found that the more I thought about Adeline's agency throughout the novel, the more troublesome questions I found myself asking. To what end is Adeline given all the agency in the world, when as a result she loses all societal acceptance? Why does she have to die? Is it significant that Glenmurray dies too? What are we to make of her reunification with her mother? I like Madison's thought that "society wasn’t ready for a woman like Adeline," because it serves two purposes: it makes Adeline a redeemable character that is ahead of her time rather than a lesson that other women of the time should learn from, and it points out a flaw in the society Adeline is placed in. However, given the fact that I want to see her as a redeemable character, I really struggle with how terribly she is treated by society in general. This brought me to the thought that perhaps Opie uses Adeline in order to make readers of the time angry (hopefully they were as upset by the ending as I was), thus making them think about the state of their own independence. Although Adeline is treated terribly for her choices, she is juxtaposed by so many men and women who are much worse than she, surely the readers of the time caught these comparisons as well! Unfortunately, some reviews really seemed to miss what I saw as "the point." Adeline is every woman. Anyone who reads her story should innately be disturbed by the way others, particularly other women, lash out at a woman who wants nothing more than to make her own decisions. Doesn't everyone at some point want something for themselves? Surely these women had some kind of pity or understanding for her desires, in the same way that they, too, might want something other than the stereotypically "correct" lifestyle. I think I've asked a question without an answer, because obviously we can't just ask someone from 1804 how they felt about it, but I think it's an interesting concern.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment