Monday, March 19, 2012

The best way to raise a child/heroine

I can't help but think as I read through the end of the novel and the notes taken from our last class, that if we're talking about different theories and ways in which to educate and raise people of the next generation at the time, then Adeline is really a child of her environment and was educated by her environment. Go with me here for a second because her life is really a product of her surroundings and the stigma she grew up in and was raised in. Though she chose to go her own path that was not supported, she had a separation from her mother, and the only thing left to nurture and guide her was society, which instead beat her down and eventually killed her. Yes? I guess I'm just thinking in these terms as a way to explain why she would be killed off at the end, since clearly Opie was aiming to do something with that. I just like the idea that she introduces these theories of education and then when all of that is stripped away, we're left with a far-less-than-ideal society that is incapable of educating young women because of the suppression and unfair, confining standards it holds.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that not only the guidance of society during the absence of Adeline's mother killed her but also the confines of society during that time. Opie is most definitely making a statement through her death. Like you mentioned, the theme of education is extremely influential in deciding her fate. Society just couldn't handle Adeline.

    ReplyDelete