Tuesday, February 21, 2012
TOO neat of an ending?
I, like most others, noticed that the ending of Romance of the Forest tied up the plot details very nicely. However, I would argue that much of the Gothic nature from the first two volumes was lost in the third by nature of the speedy tying up of loose ends. While many events in the first two books were unbelievable, they were also so frightening that it was easier to go along with them much like one goes along with the details of a ghost story. However, for some reason I am much more skeptical of coincidences or unrealistic occurrences when they lead to an unrealistic happy ending. Don't get me wrong, I love a great twisty ending where everything comes together perfectly at the last second. However, for the purposes of the gothic novel I feel such a tidy ending misses the point of the gothic novel in general. The sudden shift from fear to relief in a rush of hurried explanation undermines the groundwork of melancholy that Radcliffe spends most of the novel building up. Yes, there is suspense, but the nightmarish quality of the first two novels is almost completely lost, abandoned for the much more rational fear of imprisonment and execution. Did anyone else feel there was a shift in the tone of the third volume, especially the happy ending, that made Romance of the Forest lose some of its gothic quality?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment