While reading a little bit about the
Gothic novel and The Romance of the
Forest specifically, I found that one of Radcliffe’s outstanding qualities
as a writer is her emphasis on landscape. This relates to my post last week
about the physicality of her style, and I think it might also speak to some of
the posts this week that are frustrated with the unbelievable events that
Radcliffe incorporates into her plot. I agree that she has a tendency to
include dramatic events seemingly out of nowhere, and that can be a bit
off-putting. However, I think grounding her text in the surrounding landscape so
often and so intensely helps make the story a little more real, and also quite
enjoyable to read. In Volume III, Radcliffe explains that “they slowly passed
up the Rhone, whose steep banks, crowned with mountains, exhibited the most
various, wild, and romantic scenery” (235). The image of a crown of mountains
is very explicit, which lends reality to this scene. Later Radcliffe writes
that “the moon arose from the bosom of the ocean, and shed her trembling luster
upon the waves, diffusing peace, and making silence more solemn” (295). This
imagery is at once lovely and specific: I can clearly imagine such a moonrise
in my head, and its soft light does convey an atmosphere of peace and quiet. Although
these details do not make up for inconsistencies in the plot, they do help make
specific scenes more believable through their artful specificity.
I agree that the landscape was enjoyable to read. I also really like how it added to the plot, such as a lot of the fear at night, or describing a creepy landscape during a stressful event. This image made the plot twists even more nerve wracking.
ReplyDelete