Monday, February 13, 2012

Peter and the Issue of Servitude

Early on in Romance, I was intrigued by the character of Peter, and what Radcliffe might have had to say about the service class through him. It seems that Peter exists only to be an extension of his master, La Motte. Upon arrival at the abby, while the rest of the family is consumed with fear, Peter "knew no fear, and his mind was now wholly occupied with his approaching business" of creating a livable dwelling (31). He ignores any personal feelings he may have towards this settlement, and instead becomes the extension of his master, going to town, finding food, furniture, and other necessities. This ignoring of self has been taught to him as a servant. When he relates information from town, he is told to leave his perspective and subjectivity out and relate only the facts. At one point, La Motte even declares, "Your opinion was not asked...learn to be silent" (69). Peter, as his master's servant, is not supposed to have his own will, but become the extension of his master. The issue of one's will becoming subordinate to a master arrises again with La Motte's subjection to the Marquis: "I am not master of myself, or my conduct...it is sufficient for you to know that I pity you, more I cannot do" (207). La Motte himself becomes the pawn to the Marquis, without will of his own. Certainly he has feelings and a perspective on the world; however, he is not permitted to act on them. Adeline herself has little power to exercise her will without the help of a man. I am curious to see how this theme of servitude develops, and continue thinking about how it may reflect Adeline and the situation of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment