Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Inconsistencies

I personally enjoyed reading The Romance of The Forest by Ann Radcliffe. I found it much like the Harry Potter books to be as interesting and riveting (to the point I couldn't set the book down) as it was poorly written. One of things that contributed to both my intrigue in the novel as well as my dissatisfaction with the quality of Radcliffe's writing was the inconsistencies in writing style. There was no standard template, no continuous style such as Dante Alighieri's, to expect and anticipate through out the pages of the book. For example, beginning on page 35, Adeline relates the tale of her misfortunes to Madame La Motte through a monologue unpunctuated by quotation marks nor interjections of the third person. It is almost as if Radcliffe intended Adeline to be writing in a diary to relay her personal narrative. This goes on for about three pages when, suddenly, Radcliffe remembers Madame La Motte is there and must insert her into the narrative making it a dialogue. Then Radcliffe, after only four lines of Madame La Motte, returns to Adeline's longwinded speech but this time adds single quotation marks. It is inconsistencies such as these and ones like the attributed and unattributed quotes that make The Romance in the Forest strange to me. Another point I wanted to make quickly was that Radcliffe's Sonnet she places into Part I is not actually a sonnet as it has too many lines.

1 comment:

  1. I found a lot of the dialogue difficult to read for these reasons. I was constantly re-reading to see if I had missed something, and often had trouble following who was actually talking. Radcliffe's writing style certainly left much to be desire.

    ReplyDelete