Monday, April 2, 2012

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Like Kate, I noticed how neatly everything worked out for Fanny at the conclusion of Mansfield Park. While everyone around her made careless and rash decisions, Fanny maintained her composure and a level head, refusing to marry a man she did not love and staying a true friend to Edmund. I agree that there is something to be said for Fanny's resolution not to marry Henry, even with many of her family members pressuring her to accept his proposal. There is also something to be said for Fanny putting up with Edmund at his most lovesick. Quietly in love with Edmund, Fanny endures Edmund's debates over his love for Mary and stays silent about their incompatibility. Finally, Austen rewards Fanny for her consistency when Edmund realizes his affection for her. I was a little frustrated that Austen waited until the last pages of the book for Edmund to get his act together. Despite her passive nature, Fanny ends up on top at the end of Mansfield Park, rising up the ranks to become the wife of a respectable and wealthy man.

On a random note, I thought it was interesting that Austen included letters in a book again. What did everyone think about the use of the epistolary form within this novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment