Tuesday, April 17, 2012
The Navy and Social Standing
A lot of people seem to have the same concern I did when Anne defends Lady Russell's advice not to marry Captain Wentworth in the end of the novel. It seemed to bizarre to me that, once Anne finally overcomes 8 years of anger, sadness, and constantly thinking about Wentworth, she still stands up for Lady Russell even to Wentworth himself! Even more bizarre to me is the moment when Wentworth essentially says, "no no, you're right, sorry I didn't come back and marry you right away after you told me I wasn't good enough for you!" After such a wonderful lead up to a strong, capable match led by self agency and disregard for the rules that others ascertain as most important in society, it seemed like such a cop out for both of them to step back and hide behind the propriety that made them both unhappy! Perhaps looking at the situation from today makes this much harder to chew, so I decided to look more closely at what Austen must be trying to say in this moment. I think I can safely say that Austen still values propriety and pride in social standing, as the narrator loves to imply that the naval officers in particular deserve the social standing they have earned moreso than the well-born upper class men and women who hold the same standing. As such, I believe Austen is making a statement about the rise in standing made available by the navy, and how that in particular made him a suitable match. In allowing Anne to stand by Lady Russell, Austen implies that before, although Wentworth was a good man, he was a dangerous match because he had no set prospects. Only now that he has earned his place in society (which Austen finds not only acceptable, but admirable) can he rightly ask Anne for her hand without qualms. Even though it bothers me, I admire Austen's steadfast confidence in the deserved social standing coming from those in the navy.
Labels:
Agency,
Masculinity,
Space and Identity
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked how you recognized your own modern day biases when reading the text. I also have to step back and recognize the social implications of the actions and ideas that I, as a modern reader, believe are appropriate. I also think you point out the tension between the old elite and the new gentlemen that emerges from the ranks in the Navy. In a previous post, I commented how Wentworth's rise from a lowly birth to a rich captain was perceived as "undue." However, Austen fights this misconception with her presentation of Wentworth, an admirable Naval captain. I think she does this in Wentworth's treatment of and respect for Anne as a woman, and as a human being. Wentworth is not only a man of principle, but he is also a man of feeling. Through Wentworth, Austen presents a new definition of masculinity: a male figure that is subtle (respect to propriety) yet progressive (his rise in the ranks) and remains loyal to the woman he loves.
ReplyDelete